Edict of Nantes
Photo © Holly Hayes / Art History Images. All rights reserved.

Edict of Nantes

Detail of a relief showing King Henry IV signing the Edict of Nantes (1589), which ended the Wars of Religion in France. Constructed between 1909 and 1917, the Mur de la Reformation commemorates Geneva's significant role in the Protestant Reformation. Measuring 325 feet long and 30 feet high, it depicts figures and scenes from Protestant history against a backdrop of the Reformation motto: Post Tenebras Lux ("After Darkness, Light").