Monument to Pope Gregory XIII
Photo © David Joyal / Art History Images. All rights reserved.

Monument to Pope Gregory XIII

Monument to Pope Gregory XIII (1572-85), designed by Camillo Rusconi (1723) and located just west of the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament on the right side of the right aisle. This pope is best known for promulgating the Gregorian calendar. The pope is flanked by allegorical statues of Religion, holding the tablets of the Law, and Magnificence. At the base is a dragon, part of the heraldic device of the Boncompagni family.