The Smiling Angel (c.1280)
The Smiling Angel on the southwest pillar in the crossing is part of an Annunciation group (the Virgin Mary is across the nave on the northwest pillar). It was sculpted in about 1280 by an artist known as the Master of St. Erminold. The angel looks very cheerful and is quite popular with visitors. The cathedral brochure emphasizes its deeper meaning: "it is the visible expression of the Gospel - the good news of the love of God become man."