Pax of Ariberto (c.1030)
Photo © David Joyal / Art History Images. All rights reserved.

Pax of Ariberto (c.1030)

The so-called "Pax of Ariberto" was created around 1030 or 1040 and given to the Duomo by Archbishop Ariberto. It consists of two panels - the more elaborate one was used to decorate the box in which the cathedral's Gospel book was kept, while the other covered the Gospel book itself. In the 12th century it became part of a "Pax," a panel with a handle that was presented during the ritual of the kiss of peace.