North Nave Arcade
Photo © David Joyal / Art History Images. All rights reserved.

North Nave Arcade

Columns on the north side of San Giovanni Evangelista in Ravenna, looking northeast. The basilica was built c.426-30 by Galla Placidia in fulfillment of a vow. It was badly damaged by bombs in 1944 but rebuilt to its original Byzantine form. Most of the columns and capitals are original.