The Holy Door
Photo © Holly Hayes/Art History Images. All rights reserved.
|Title:||The Holy Door|
|Caption:||The Holy Door on the northern end of the portico, St. Peter's Basilica. Cast in bronze by Vico Consorti (1950), the door is traditionally opened only for great celebrations such as Jubilee years. Above it are inscriptions. The top reads PAVLVS V PONT MAX ANNO XIII, the one just above the door reads GREGORIVS XIII PONT MAX. In between are white slabs commemorating the most recent openings. Pope John Paul II opened the holy door in the jubilee years of 1983-84 and 2000-01.|
|Digital Size:||366 x 550 pixels|
|Print Sizes:||1.5 x 2.3 inches @ 240 dpi|
1.2 x 1.8 inches @ 300 dpi
|Uploaded:||April 23, 2013|