Barbarossa's Chandelier (1184)
Photo © Holly Hayes/Art History Images. All rights reserved.
|Title:||Barbarossa's Chandelier (1184)|
|Caption:||Barbarossa's Chandelier hangs from the vault in the Palatine Chapel. It is a huge (4.2-meter diameter) bronze circlet commissioned by Frederick Barbarossa for the occasion of Charlemagne's canonization. It was created in 1165-84 in Aachen and is inscribed with a dedication to Mary from Barbarossa and his wife Beatrix. On special holy days the candles are lit, which must be quite a spectacular sight.|
|Digital Size:||4000 x 2670 pixels|
|Print Sizes:||16.7 x 11.1 inches @ 240 dpi|
13.3 x 8.9 inches @ 300 dpi
|Uploaded:||April 23, 2013|