Neo-Gothic Reliquary of St. Peter's Chains (1895)
This reliquary enshrines two chain links of St. Peter, with which he was held prisoner in Jerusalem until an angel freed him. The links are the original relics that were venerated throughout the Middle Ages in Trier, but the original reliquary was melted down to fund the war against French Revolutionary troops. In 1895, goldsmith Josef Brems-Varain donated a new reliquary for the chain to the treasury. The design is based on the 14th-century St. Anne reliquary in the Cathedral Treasury.