Throne of St. Peter
Photo © Holly Hayes/Art History Images. All rights reserved.
|Title:||Throne of St. Peter|
|Caption:||The tribune at the far west of the basilica, which centers on the Cathedra of St. Peter. This enormous gilded bronze monument was designed by Bernini in 1666 to enclose an oak throne donated by Carolingian ruler Charles the Bald upon his coronation in St. Peter's in 875. The legs of the throne are decorated with finely pierced ivory bands made in the School at Tours. The 18 ivory plaques on the front of the chair were added slightly later, and show the 12 Labors of Hercules and six monsters.|
|Digital Size:||366 x 550 pixels|
|Print Sizes:||1.5 x 2.3 inches @ 240 dpi|
1.2 x 1.8 inches @ 300 dpi
|Uploaded:||April 16, 2013|