Marble Capital
Photo © Holly Hayes / Art History Images. All rights reserved.

Marble Capital

Marble capital with carved decoration and Arabic calligraphy in the mosque. Originally founded in the 14th century, the Ben Youssef Medersa was rebuilt by the Saadian Sultan Abdallah al-Ghalib in 1565. Beautifully decorated with Islamic designs and calligraphy, it is the largest madrassa (religious school) in Morocco.